Tata cites verdict upholding Singur acquisition
Kolkata: Tata Motors on Wednesday cited a
previous division bench verdict, which had upheld validity of
land acquisition at Singur, in the Kolkata High Court on Wednesday
while defending its right over the tract.
TML counsel Samariditya Pal told the court of Justice
Saumitra Pal that a division bench of the High Court had
dismissed the PIL and upheld the validity of land acquisition
by the West Bengal government through its industrial
development agency WBIDC for socio-economic development of the
The verdict was subsequently challenged in the Supreme
Court and a decision was still pending.
The TML counsel said that the company was forced to
move out from Singur despite the state government`s assurance
that congenial atmosphere would prevail at the site.
Pal said the land at Singur was acquired under chapter
seven of the Land Acquisition Act of 1894 which dealt with
acquisition for private companies.
He contended that farm land acquisition was allowed
under Article 31 of the Constitution provided adequate
compensation was paid.
The TML counsel also criticised the haste in which the
land was re-possessed by the West Bengal government through
the Singur Land Development & Rehabilitation Act 2011 against
which the company had filed a writ petition.
The matter will be again heard tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam