`Tatas can seek compensation for Singur land`
Kolkata: West Bengal government Friday said
Tata Motors can seek compensation for Singur land before proper authorities and if aggrieved with the award, the company can then move the high court.
Advocate-General Anindya Mitra submitted before Justice I
P Mukerji that Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act,
2011, has a provision for compensation and TML should apply
In case it feels aggrieved by the compensation award, TML
can move the high court, he stated.
He submitted TML has from October, 2008, shifted 3,300 truckloads of machinery from the Singur plant but still they are claiming right over the 600 acres of land that was leased out to them for setting up the Nano car plant.
But the land has not been used for the purpose it was
given for i.e. producing cars and thus generating employment,
Claiming TML has no right to seek relief on the constitutionality of the Singur Act, the AG said a law can be
declared unconstitutional when it is "anti-people".
Here the circumstances for framing the law by which the
Singur land was vested by the government have to be taken into
consideration, he submitted.
The government today completed its submission on the TML
challenge of the Singur Act.
The matter would be taken up for hearing again on Monday
when TML counsels would give their reply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price