Tax waiver for buildings painted in white and blue: KMC
Kolkata: Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) has decided to waive property tax for one year for residential buildings painted in blue and white in the city, officials said on Tuesday.
The mayoral council of KMC yesterday decided to promote the colour as the state government has painted all its properties white with streaks of blue on it.
Mayor Sovan Chatterjee said the decision would bring uniformity in the colour of buildings in Kolkata but it would not be "binding on house owners".
Commercial buildings will not be granted the waiver, he said.
The documents pertaining to the decision are being sent to the state government`s Urban Development and Municipal Affairs Department for ratification, officials said.
An amendment to Kolkata Municipal Corporation Act has to be passed in the state assembly before the waiver of taxes can come into force, officials said.
Civic officials said that the Kolkata Municipal Corporation Act has no provision to waive the property tax and it has to be sent to the state government that will bring an amendment to the act in the assembly.
Road dividers, flyovers, police stations, the new secretariat turned blue and white in the city three years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH