Taxi strike in Kolkata on Wed
Kolkata: The Bengal Taxi Association has
called a one day token strike here tomorrow demanding a hike
of Rs six over the existing fare.
"We are going on a token one-day strike from midnight
tonight to midnight tomorrow," President of the Bengal Taxi
Association, Bimal Guha, told PTI.
He said Transport Minister Ranjit Kundu had requested a
fortnight`s time on the Association`s demands for which a
token strike had been called.
The Association would till the July 30 and if the demands
were not met by the government till then, an indefinite strike
would be called, Guha said.
The Progressive Taximen`s Association, however, said it
would not join the strike.
President of the Association Madan Mitra, a Trinamool
Congress leader, said his organisation would not participate
in the strike as it would inconvenience the people and
appealed to other associations not to go on strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption