Taxis in Kolkata allowed rooftop advertisements
Kolkata: Taxi operators were on Wednesday permitted by the West Bengal government to use rooftop advertisements on their cabs to "earn extra money," but a fare hike was ruled out.
"No taxi fare hike right now, but I have allowed them to use advertisements boxes on the top of vehicles to earn extra money," Transport minister Madan Mitra told reporters after meeting taxi operators at the state secretariat.
A committee headed by Transport Secretary B P Gopalika has been set up to ensure that the advertisements are as per the government notification, he said.
The minister said that the advertisements should not be a cause for "visual pollution."
Other demands such as hike in night surcharge from 15 per cent to 25 per cent and alleged police excess would be looked into, he said.
At least ten pre-paid taxi booths would be set up in Kolkata and Howrah soon, he added while also warning taxi operators against refusing passengers.
"A section of taxi operators have failed to establish relations with passengers in a proper manner. They must stop refusal in the interest of passengers convenience," he said.
Also, 20 toll-free numbers would be operationalised for registering passenger complaints.
Taxi operators, who have called for a two-day strike from June 6, have agreed to sit with the minister on June 4 to resolve their issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested