TC blockades street in Kolkata over Birbhum clashes
Kolkata: The clashes between the CPI-M and
Trinamool Congress supporters at Nanoor in West Bengal`s
Birbhum district had a spillover effect in the metropolis
today with TC activists blocking an arterial road in Esplanade
area in protest.
Traffic was stalled on Dharamtolla Street for three hours
as police moved in and arrested some Trinamool supporters.
TC general secretary Madan Mitra alleged that the police
lathicharged supporters near Bentinck Street adjacent to
"At least 30 Trinamool women activists were injured in
police lathicharge and over 1,000 were arrested," he claimed.
However, Joint Police Commissioner Jawed Shamim said that several Trinamool Congress workers were arrested, but no
lathicharge was made.
He, however, could not specify the number of arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days