TC, Cong to launch joint election campaign in West Bengal
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress and Congress will
launch a joint campaign for the coming West Bengal Assembly
polls with Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh spearheading the attack against the ruling Left
The decision was taken today at a meeting between
Trinamool Congress Chief Mamata Banerjee and Union Finance
Minister and senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee at his
residence here before he left for North Bengal for
After the 30-minute meeting, Banerjee told reporters that
both the alliance partners agreed to hold the joint election
"Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh will launch the joint campaign in North Bengal,
which figures in the first round of the six-phase polls in the
state," she said.
Banerjee said she planned to begin her campaign in North
Bengal on April 12 or 13. 54 constituencies in North Bengal
will go to polls on April 18.
She said the two allies would urge the Election Commission
to allow them use of microphones for campaign from April 9.
The loudspeakers were banned in view of various examinations.
Banerjee claimed that acting on her request to the Finance
Minister to waive or reduce the 10 per cent excise duty on
branded clothing and hosieries announced in the Union Budget,
Mukherjee had agreed to do something positive in the interest
of people involved in the sector.
"So people involved in this sector have nothing to worry
now. Pranabda has promised to do the best for them," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!