TC lost Siliguri due to friend`s treachery, says Mamata
Siliguri (WB): Visiting Siliguri for the first time after Congress and Left teamed up to form the SMC board, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Sunday apologised to the electorate and termed as "treachery" the recent act of her alliance partner.
The Railway Minister also refrained from directly naming Congress for taking Left support to win the Siliguri mayoral election in a public meeting held to offer the apology.
"I have come here to beg an apology as we failed to fulfill your aspirations because of the treachery of our friends," she said.
"It is the fault of our alliance partner and it is now their problem how to maintain the spirit of the alliance," she told the meeting, putting at rest the speculations that she would go at hammer and tongs with the Congress.
All the elected Trinamool councillors of the SMC, the party president Subroto Baxi, Opposition leader in the state Assembly Partha Chatterjee and all party district presidents in north Bengal lined up behind Mamata in two rows with folded hands to apologise to the gathering.
"We all treat the CPI-M as enemy number one and in no case can we compromise with them and in no situation can we enjoy power with their support," she said.
Mamata said her party had always kept promises and never failed on commitments. She said her party was supporting the UPA at the centre as per commitments made in the election manifesto and she would abide by it.
In the mayoral election held on October 1, the Congress candidate Gangotri Dutta had received 32 votes against Trinamool Congress aspirant Goutam Deb`s 15 in the 47-member municipal body.
Dutta received the support of all the 17 Left Front councillors -- CPI(M) 15 and RSP and Fowrard Bloc one each. Congress has 15 councillors, Trinamool 14 (one Independent later joined TC).
Making reference to Singur in the meeting, Mamata said she would return land to the unwilling farmers there as she had promised before the Lok Sabha elections.
The TC chief said she was keen on all round development of north Bengal and it was her dream to make Siliguri an industrial hub.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested