TC MP Kabir Suman to give dharna against anti-naxal operation
The rift between singer-turned MP
Kabir Suman and his party Trinamool Congress came to the fore
today with the former expressing resolve to lodge protest
outside Parliament against the proposed "Operation Green Hunt"
at the cost of expulsion from the party. Kolkata:
"I am firm in my resolve to give dharna in front of
Parliament against operation Green hunt (against the Maoists)
even if my party refused to give me sanction. I am a worker of
mass movement, I will lodge my protest. I cannot support state
terrorism. If my party expelled me I will accept it and
continue my protest", he said.
However, he said that nobody should draw the conclusion
that he was supporting the Maoists. "I am not supporting the
Maoists," he told a Bengali news channel.
He said that party`s chief whip Sudip Bandopadhyay has
written a letter to him saying a meeting of the Parliamentary
party would be convened after the Union budget where "they
will give their opinion and I will express mine. But even if
none in the party supports me,I will not budge from my stand".
Suman had created a flutter last November by openly
criticising the party, by saying despite being a major partner
of the UPA, the TC should not have supported the government on
"It will be good even if party chief Mamata Banerjee says
this now," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video