Teachers in Nadia schools drawing salaries for teaching none
Krishnagar (WB): Two government-aided girls` schools in West Bengal`s Nadia district have no student on their rolls for the last three years, but the teachers and other staff are drawing salaries each month.
There are 14 teachers in two schools - Uma Shashi Nimnataro Uchha Balika Bidyalay and Tarak Das Shiksha Sadan Junior High School for girls - who mostly while away their time by reading newspapers, magazines and plain gossiping.
As there are no students in the schools, there are no managing committees either.
Both the schools are housed in good buildings where there are facilities like drinking water, toilets, common rooms and others.
Sources said Khabir Uddin Ahamed, former CPI(M) MP, had donated Rs 2 lakh to the Tarak Das Shiksha Sadan Junior High School for girls to erect the school building.
Shibdas Mukherjee, former Congress MLA from Krishnagar (East), had also donated Rs 1 lakh to the school for the same purpose.
Deepika Ghosh, headmistress of Umashashi Nimnataro Uchha Balika Bidyalaya, said, "The student strength has been going down steadily for several years. We drew attention of the state`s education authorities and asked for transfer."
Ghosh said some teachers and non-teaching staff had been transferred to other government or government-aided schools.
"At present, there are seven teachers and two non-teaching staff in the school, which was established in 1969 as part of the government`s policy to spread women`s education," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire