Teenager falls into well in West Bengal
Howrah (WB): Hours after the body of four-year-old Mahi was pulled out of a 70-feet-deep borewell near Manesar in Haryana where she was trapped for the past four days, a youth fell into a well in Howrah district on Sunday.
Rausan Ali Mondal, a mason by profession, slipped and fell into the 30-feet deep well at Eksara village in Howrah district.
Fire brigade and disaster management personnel were carrying out rescue work at the site, West Bengal Disaster Management Minister Javed Khan said in Kolkata.
There were no official reports on his condition even seven hours after his falling into the well as rescuers continue their search for him.
Asked about the fate of the youth, the minister said, "Our men are inside the well. Let them come out, then we can tell (you about the youth`s fate)."
The Fire minister dismissed complaints of late response by fire brigade personnel and the disaster management team in reaching the spot after the incident that took place at about 1530 hours today.
"No it (late response) is not true. It is the creation of the media. The fire brigade personnel reached the spot within 15 to 20 minutes after the distress call was received from the Howrah district administration at 1635 hours," Khan told reporters.
"There had been heavy rain in the area which delayed the rescue operation. The well was very narrow and there was huge accumulation of methane gas inside," he said adding "our men are inside the well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why