Teenager falls into well in West Bengal
Howrah (WB): Hours after the body of four-year-old Mahi was pulled out of a 70-feet-deep borewell near Manesar in Haryana where she was trapped for the past four days, a youth fell into a well in Howrah district on Sunday.
Rausan Ali Mondal, a mason by profession, slipped and fell into the 30-feet deep well at Eksara village in Howrah district.
Fire brigade and disaster management personnel were carrying out rescue work at the site, West Bengal Disaster Management Minister Javed Khan said in Kolkata.
There were no official reports on his condition even seven hours after his falling into the well as rescuers continue their search for him.
Asked about the fate of the youth, the minister said, "Our men are inside the well. Let them come out, then we can tell (you about the youth`s fate)."
The Fire minister dismissed complaints of late response by fire brigade personnel and the disaster management team in reaching the spot after the incident that took place at about 1530 hours today.
"No it (late response) is not true. It is the creation of the media. The fire brigade personnel reached the spot within 15 to 20 minutes after the distress call was received from the Howrah district administration at 1635 hours," Khan told reporters.
"There had been heavy rain in the area which delayed the rescue operation. The well was very narrow and there was huge accumulation of methane gas inside," he said adding "our men are inside the well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list