Teenager falls into well in West Bengal
Howrah (WB): Hours after the body of four-year-old Mahi was pulled out of a 70-feet-deep borewell near Manesar in Haryana where she was trapped for the past four days, a youth fell into a well in Howrah district on Sunday.
Rausan Ali Mondal, a mason by profession, slipped and fell into the 30-feet deep well at Eksara village in Howrah district.
Fire brigade and disaster management personnel were carrying out rescue work at the site, West Bengal Disaster Management Minister Javed Khan said in Kolkata.
There were no official reports on his condition even seven hours after his falling into the well as rescuers continue their search for him.
Asked about the fate of the youth, the minister said, "Our men are inside the well. Let them come out, then we can tell (you about the youth`s fate)."
The Fire minister dismissed complaints of late response by fire brigade personnel and the disaster management team in reaching the spot after the incident that took place at about 1530 hours today.
"No it (late response) is not true. It is the creation of the media. The fire brigade personnel reached the spot within 15 to 20 minutes after the distress call was received from the Howrah district administration at 1635 hours," Khan told reporters.
"There had been heavy rain in the area which delayed the rescue operation. The well was very narrow and there was huge accumulation of methane gas inside," he said adding "our men are inside the well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow