Tell us your paintings` prices, buyers: CPI-M to Mamata
Kolkata: Ridiculing West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s claim that she would sell her paintings to collect funds for her Trinamool Congress` panchayat poll campaign, the CPI-M on Saturday demanded that she disclose the names of buyers and the prices they were paying.
Around 100 of Banerjee`s paintings are on display at the Town Hall here. The exhibition will continue till January 18.
"Mamata Banerjee says she won`t ask for money from anybody to fund her party`s panchayat poll campaign. What is the need for her to ask for it? Rampant extortion is on in the state," Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo memberSurjya Kanta Mishra said at a rally in Chandipur of East Midnapur district.
"But she says she will collect the money by selling her paintings. My question is at what rate have these paintings been sold? And will the honourable chief minister please disclose who has bought her pictures and at what price?" asked Mishra, also the leader of the opposition in the Assembly.
"Is it white money or black money," he continued.
The CPI-M has been attacking Banerjee on the issue over the past couple of months.
Earlier, former state minister and party state secretariat member Gautam Deb had accused Banerjee of extorting money from industrialists in the name of selling her paintings.
"Why should people buy her drawings for such hefty prices that she would meet her party`s poll expenses? Why should industrialists buy them? Is she a Vincent Van Gogh or a Leonardo da Vinci?”
"She should disclose the names of the buyers. She is actually extorting money from industrialists," Deb had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India