Tell us your paintings` prices, buyers: CPI-M to Mamata
Kolkata: Ridiculing West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s claim that she would sell her paintings to collect funds for her Trinamool Congress` panchayat poll campaign, the CPI-M on Saturday demanded that she disclose the names of buyers and the prices they were paying.
Around 100 of Banerjee`s paintings are on display at the Town Hall here. The exhibition will continue till January 18.
"Mamata Banerjee says she won`t ask for money from anybody to fund her party`s panchayat poll campaign. What is the need for her to ask for it? Rampant extortion is on in the state," Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo memberSurjya Kanta Mishra said at a rally in Chandipur of East Midnapur district.
"But she says she will collect the money by selling her paintings. My question is at what rate have these paintings been sold? And will the honourable chief minister please disclose who has bought her pictures and at what price?" asked Mishra, also the leader of the opposition in the Assembly.
"Is it white money or black money," he continued.
The CPI-M has been attacking Banerjee on the issue over the past couple of months.
Earlier, former state minister and party state secretariat member Gautam Deb had accused Banerjee of extorting money from industrialists in the name of selling her paintings.
"Why should people buy her drawings for such hefty prices that she would meet her party`s poll expenses? Why should industrialists buy them? Is she a Vincent Van Gogh or a Leonardo da Vinci?”
"She should disclose the names of the buyers. She is actually extorting money from industrialists," Deb had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read