Tell us your paintings` prices, buyers: CPI-M to Mamata
Kolkata: Ridiculing West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s claim that she would sell her paintings to collect funds for her Trinamool Congress` panchayat poll campaign, the CPI-M on Saturday demanded that she disclose the names of buyers and the prices they were paying.
Around 100 of Banerjee`s paintings are on display at the Town Hall here. The exhibition will continue till January 18.
"Mamata Banerjee says she won`t ask for money from anybody to fund her party`s panchayat poll campaign. What is the need for her to ask for it? Rampant extortion is on in the state," Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo memberSurjya Kanta Mishra said at a rally in Chandipur of East Midnapur district.
"But she says she will collect the money by selling her paintings. My question is at what rate have these paintings been sold? And will the honourable chief minister please disclose who has bought her pictures and at what price?" asked Mishra, also the leader of the opposition in the Assembly.
"Is it white money or black money," he continued.
The CPI-M has been attacking Banerjee on the issue over the past couple of months.
Earlier, former state minister and party state secretariat member Gautam Deb had accused Banerjee of extorting money from industrialists in the name of selling her paintings.
"Why should people buy her drawings for such hefty prices that she would meet her party`s poll expenses? Why should industrialists buy them? Is she a Vincent Van Gogh or a Leonardo da Vinci?”
"She should disclose the names of the buyers. She is actually extorting money from industrialists," Deb had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now