Tell us your paintings` prices, buyers: CPI-M to Mamata
Kolkata: Ridiculing West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s claim that she would sell her paintings to collect funds for her Trinamool Congress` panchayat poll campaign, the CPI-M on Saturday demanded that she disclose the names of buyers and the prices they were paying.
Around 100 of Banerjee`s paintings are on display at the Town Hall here. The exhibition will continue till January 18.
"Mamata Banerjee says she won`t ask for money from anybody to fund her party`s panchayat poll campaign. What is the need for her to ask for it? Rampant extortion is on in the state," Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo memberSurjya Kanta Mishra said at a rally in Chandipur of East Midnapur district.
"But she says she will collect the money by selling her paintings. My question is at what rate have these paintings been sold? And will the honourable chief minister please disclose who has bought her pictures and at what price?" asked Mishra, also the leader of the opposition in the Assembly.
"Is it white money or black money," he continued.
The CPI-M has been attacking Banerjee on the issue over the past couple of months.
Earlier, former state minister and party state secretariat member Gautam Deb had accused Banerjee of extorting money from industrialists in the name of selling her paintings.
"Why should people buy her drawings for such hefty prices that she would meet her party`s poll expenses? Why should industrialists buy them? Is she a Vincent Van Gogh or a Leonardo da Vinci?”
"She should disclose the names of the buyers. She is actually extorting money from industrialists," Deb had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!