Ten arrested for Durgapur rape, remanded to JC
Durgapur/Kolkata: Ten persons arrested for allegedly raping a married woman at Piyala near the City Centre in Durgapur town, were on Tuesday remanded to judicial custody for 14 days.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Durgapur, Koustab Mukherjee remanded the 10 to judicial custody for 14 days.
Commissioner of Police (Durgapur-Asansol) Ajoy Nanda said that the ten, who worked at two presses which printed local newspapers, were arrested last night, while six others were absconding.
He said eight of them worked for one of the printing presses, while two others worked for another one.
DGP Naparajit Mukherjee said in Kolkata that the arrested men would be produced at an identification parade.
He said the arrested men were contract labourers of a daily.
According to the police, the 38-year-old woman was dropped at the City Centre on Sunday night by a doctor with whom she ran a pathology diagnostic centre at Asansol and was picked up by her husband on a two-wheeler.
When they were returning home, the couple was stopped by a number of men who assaulted her husband and dragged her away and gangraped her after which she fell unconscious.
After the woman recovered, she and her husband lodged a complaint with the police.
Sunil Yadav, ADCP (East) of the Asansol Durgapur Police Commissionerate had earlier confirmed that a medical test on the woman had confirmed rape.
When asked about increasing crimes being perpetrated against, the DGP said in Kolkata "I cannot say about perception. We are taking all logical steps to bring perpetrators to book.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan