Ten arrested for Durgapur rape, remanded to JC
Durgapur/Kolkata: Ten persons arrested for allegedly raping a married woman at Piyala near the City Centre in Durgapur town, were on Tuesday remanded to judicial custody for 14 days.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Durgapur, Koustab Mukherjee remanded the 10 to judicial custody for 14 days.
Commissioner of Police (Durgapur-Asansol) Ajoy Nanda said that the ten, who worked at two presses which printed local newspapers, were arrested last night, while six others were absconding.
He said eight of them worked for one of the printing presses, while two others worked for another one.
DGP Naparajit Mukherjee said in Kolkata that the arrested men would be produced at an identification parade.
He said the arrested men were contract labourers of a daily.
According to the police, the 38-year-old woman was dropped at the City Centre on Sunday night by a doctor with whom she ran a pathology diagnostic centre at Asansol and was picked up by her husband on a two-wheeler.
When they were returning home, the couple was stopped by a number of men who assaulted her husband and dragged her away and gangraped her after which she fell unconscious.
After the woman recovered, she and her husband lodged a complaint with the police.
Sunil Yadav, ADCP (East) of the Asansol Durgapur Police Commissionerate had earlier confirmed that a medical test on the woman had confirmed rape.
When asked about increasing crimes being perpetrated against, the DGP said in Kolkata "I cannot say about perception. We are taking all logical steps to bring perpetrators to book.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown