Ten arrested for Durgapur rape, remanded to JC
Durgapur/Kolkata: Ten persons arrested for allegedly raping a married woman at Piyala near the City Centre in Durgapur town, were on Tuesday remanded to judicial custody for 14 days.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Durgapur, Koustab Mukherjee remanded the 10 to judicial custody for 14 days.
Commissioner of Police (Durgapur-Asansol) Ajoy Nanda said that the ten, who worked at two presses which printed local newspapers, were arrested last night, while six others were absconding.
He said eight of them worked for one of the printing presses, while two others worked for another one.
DGP Naparajit Mukherjee said in Kolkata that the arrested men would be produced at an identification parade.
He said the arrested men were contract labourers of a daily.
According to the police, the 38-year-old woman was dropped at the City Centre on Sunday night by a doctor with whom she ran a pathology diagnostic centre at Asansol and was picked up by her husband on a two-wheeler.
When they were returning home, the couple was stopped by a number of men who assaulted her husband and dragged her away and gangraped her after which she fell unconscious.
After the woman recovered, she and her husband lodged a complaint with the police.
Sunil Yadav, ADCP (East) of the Asansol Durgapur Police Commissionerate had earlier confirmed that a medical test on the woman had confirmed rape.
When asked about increasing crimes being perpetrated against, the DGP said in Kolkata "I cannot say about perception. We are taking all logical steps to bring perpetrators to book.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says