Tension on border will not affect Sarabjit`s release
Kolkata: Appealing for peace between India and Pakistan amidst tension on the borders between the two neighbours, family members of Sarabjit Singh, who is on death row in Pakistan said it would not affect his release.
"Whenever there is conflict or tension between the two nations such as after 26/11 and parliament attack we fear for Sarabjit`s fate. But I feel that this time this present scenario won`t affect his release," Sarabjit`s sister Dalbir Kaur said.
"What happened on the Indo-Pak border is sad, but we should not move from the path of peace," Kaur said referring to the brutal killing of two Indian soldiers on the border last week.
"We want peace and stability in both the nations. We have seen enough war and hatred between both the nations. Let`s give peace a chance," she said.
Sarabjit`s Pakistani lawyer Awaish Sheikh said "There is need for more people to people contact. What recently happened is shameful. But such incidents should not deter us from taking the path of peace."
He said "The case of Sarabjit is now in the Pakistani President`s office. If he signs the mercy petition Sarabjit will be released. We are trying everything to bring him back to India sooner than later," Sheikh said.
Terming Sarabjit`s case, who is in a Pakistani prison since 1990, as a victim of Pakistani politics, Sheikh said both countries should take steps to diffuse the tension on the border.
Dalbir with Sarabjit`s daughter were here for the launch of the book `Sarabjit Singh - A case of mistaken identity` written by the Pakistani lawyer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report