Terrorists demand Rs 100 cr from Kolkata industrialists
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Monday provided security cover for two city-based industrialists after they complained to the police of receiving ransom calls.
"You have seen on television that some individuals have received ransom calls. Two complaints about the ransom calls are lodged with the city police," Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen told reporters here.
Sen declined to name the complainants or specify any detail about them, but said steps have been taken to provide them security.
Earlier, city police sources said three city-based industrialists have received threat of kidnap by a terrorist outfit if they failed to pay up hefty ransoms to meet the cost of litigation of Aftab Ansari, sentenced to death in the American Center shootout case.
Asked whether the government would provide security to all captains of industry here in the wake of the ransom calls, Sen said, "The industrialists usually engage private security personnel. But if they come to us requesting security, we shall certainly think about it."
In reply to a question, Sen said reports that the calls had come from Karachi could not be immediately ascertained. The caller had also not been identified.
On the amount of ransom demanded, Sen said it was "much less" than Rs 100 crore as reported in the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door