`Thanks for scrapping Haripur N-power plant’
Kolkata: Scientists against nuclear power plants on Friday thanked the Mamata Banerjee government for accepting the demand of scrapping the proposed plant at Haripur in East Midnapore district.
"We thank the West Bengal government for its good sense and congratulate it for setting an example for the nation to follow," scientists under the `Paramanu Bidyut
Birodhi Prachar Aandolan` said in a statement.
"We hope that good sense will prevail upon the Centre," it said.
They said that they had been consistently demanding that West Bengal be declared a nuclear-free zone. The statement was signed by Palashbaran Pal of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Tushar Chakraborty of Indian Institute of chemical Biology, Meher Engineer, ex-director of Bose Institute, Samar Bagchi, ex-director of Birla Industrial and Technological Museum, Sujay Basu, ex-director of School of Energy Studies and Monoj Pal, ex-director, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur