Theatre on women empowerment in Sundarbans
Kolkata: The message of women`s
empowerment through a six-day programme of theatre began on Monday at Kakdwip near Sagar Islands in the Sundarbans.
Artistes like Pankaj Kapoor, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi,
Tapas Sen, Shovana Narayan contributed in choreography, song,
light, sound and other technical fields to make the programme
- Shatarupa - a success, Gopa Biswas, an official of Song and
Drama division of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry
It would highlight the contribution of women from
the days of Rani Lakshmibai to the modern day," she said.
Traditional arts like Dandia of Gujarat and Chau dance
of Bengal would be used to highlight the message of women`s
empowerment, Biswas said.
Kakdwip was selected as people living in the remote
area received very little scope for access to such programmes,
The programme will be formally inaugurated on April 14
by Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting
Chaudhuri Mohan Jatua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice