There will be no shutdown in WB, asserts Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday declared that her government will not allow forcible enforcement of the two-day shutdown called by central trade unions.
"We want to make it clear there will no shut downs in Bengal. Bengal will not remain shut, from schools and colleges to shops and offices, everything will remain open," she said at a public rally in South 24 Parganas district`s Diamond Harbour, some 50 km from Kolkata.
Banerjee also said her government will compensate people if their properties are damaged during the shutdown.
"I humbly request all and sundry not to participate in shutdowns. I assure you that Trinamool Congress is with you, so rest assured I am your protector. If there is any damage to your shops or property, I will compensate you," she said.
"Do not fall trap to any provocation. Do not indulge in the politics of shutdowns. We will not allow shutdowns. If you do not support shutdowns, we will support you," she added.
Banerjee said shutdowns may yield political mileage, but they make the state and the people suffer. She cautioned that any one resorting to violence to enforce the shutdown will be dealt with strictly.
Central trade unions in banking, insurance, public sector undertakings, transporters and unorganised sectors have called for a two-day nationwide strike on Wednesday and Thursday to protest the central government`s alleged inaction on price rise, privatisation, outsourcing, violation of labour laws and various other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'