Though late, law will take its own course: Somnath
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath
Chatterjee, who presided over the 2008 trust vote, on Tuesday hoped
law will take its own course though he felt the investigation
process into the cash-for-vote scam was a prolonged one.
Chatterjee was commenting on the arrest of Rajya Sabha MP
Amar Singh and two former BJP MPs in connection with the scam.
"It was the most improper and most reprehensible act of
bribery on the Floor of the Lok Sabha. Though late, I hope the
law will take its own course," Chatterjee, who had presided
over the July 22, 2008 trust vote in Parliament, said.
"The investigation process was late and police action
delayed," he said, adding that a proper inquiry should have
been initiated immediately after the incident.
Chatterjee said whatever action he had taken on the issue
was taken in a most humble way by him.
"I at once called a meeting of leaders of political
parties, asked the three MPs (including Faggan Kulaste and
Mahavir Bhagora) to appear before me in my chamber and why
they did not inform me so that police could have been called,"
"It was a serious case of bribery and a shameful act and
justice should be done in this case," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack