Though late, law will take its own course: Somnath
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath
Chatterjee, who presided over the 2008 trust vote, on Tuesday hoped
law will take its own course though he felt the investigation
process into the cash-for-vote scam was a prolonged one.
Chatterjee was commenting on the arrest of Rajya Sabha MP
Amar Singh and two former BJP MPs in connection with the scam.
"It was the most improper and most reprehensible act of
bribery on the Floor of the Lok Sabha. Though late, I hope the
law will take its own course," Chatterjee, who had presided
over the July 22, 2008 trust vote in Parliament, said.
"The investigation process was late and police action
delayed," he said, adding that a proper inquiry should have
been initiated immediately after the incident.
Chatterjee said whatever action he had taken on the issue
was taken in a most humble way by him.
"I at once called a meeting of leaders of political
parties, asked the three MPs (including Faggan Kulaste and
Mahavir Bhagora) to appear before me in my chamber and why
they did not inform me so that police could have been called,"
"It was a serious case of bribery and a shameful act and
justice should be done in this case," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Haryana to address common citizens as Sir, Madam
- See pic: Two giant pandas and cub celebrate their 10th birthday with 'ice cakes'!
- RBL Bank's IPO oversubscribed 70 times, applications cross 1 mn on Day 3
- Dredging of Brahmaputra soon to stop floods, erosion: Sonowal
- You may be ignoring these signs of a stroke! - Watch video