Though late, law will take its own course: Somnath
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath
Chatterjee, who presided over the 2008 trust vote, on Tuesday hoped
law will take its own course though he felt the investigation
process into the cash-for-vote scam was a prolonged one.
Chatterjee was commenting on the arrest of Rajya Sabha MP
Amar Singh and two former BJP MPs in connection with the scam.
"It was the most improper and most reprehensible act of
bribery on the Floor of the Lok Sabha. Though late, I hope the
law will take its own course," Chatterjee, who had presided
over the July 22, 2008 trust vote in Parliament, said.
"The investigation process was late and police action
delayed," he said, adding that a proper inquiry should have
been initiated immediately after the incident.
Chatterjee said whatever action he had taken on the issue
was taken in a most humble way by him.
"I at once called a meeting of leaders of political
parties, asked the three MPs (including Faggan Kulaste and
Mahavir Bhagora) to appear before me in my chamber and why
they did not inform me so that police could have been called,"
"It was a serious case of bribery and a shameful act and
justice should be done in this case," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview