Three arrested for alleged gang-rape, murder in West Bengal
Kolkata: Three people were arrested on Tuesday in connection with an alleged gang-rape and murder of a woman in West Bengal`s East Midnapore district, police said.
While the victim`s family has alleged that the woman was gang-raped and hanged to death, police have asserted that it was a case of suicide and the woman was not sexually assaulted.
"We have arrested three people and booked them on charges of abetment to suicide. While the post-mortem report is awaited, prima facie evidence suggested the victim was not sexually assaulted and committed suicide," Superintendent of Police (East Midnapore) Sukesh Jain told a news agency.
The victim was the wife of a CPI-M leader and the party has alleged that Trinamool Congress "goons" demanded money from her. When she denied, she was paraded naked, raped and murdered.
CPI-M leader Tapas Sinha attributed Trinamool MP Tapas Paul`s rape and kill remarks as the catalyst behind the incident.
"This is a result of Paul`s call for raping and killing our party workers. While the police took no action against Paul, they are now trying all means to convert this rape and murder into a suicide," said Tapas Sinha.
The victim`s family has named 12 people in the First Information Report (FIR) with all of them owing allegiance to the Trinamool.
While the three people arrested have been named in the FIR, police have refused to comment on their political allegiance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why
- Singapore-based company develops robot therapist to help relieve muscle strains
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh chairs high-level meeting in Kashmir
- India, Bangladesh border forces discuss issues in Tripura