Three arrested in parcel bomb case in West Bengal
Howrah: The police on Thursday claimed to have cracked a case of killing of a woman human rights activist at Tetultala in West Bengal`s Howrah district in a parcel bomb blast last month, with the arrest of three persons.
Biswajit Majhi, Abhisekh Roy and Subhankar Das were arrested in connection with the case, police sources said.
The plot to kill the woman, Chaitali Santra, was hatched by a man named Debashis Dey, who was jailed after the human rights activist helped his wife, a neighbour, in a marital dispute, the sources said.
In jail, Dey came in contact with Majhi, another prisoner.
After coming out of jail, Dey allegedly paid Majhi Rs 2 lakh to kill the woman activist, they said.
Majhi with the help of Roy and Das, the other two accused, put together a parcel bomb which was hand delivered to the woman on September 26, the sources said.
The woman was killed and her husband was injured when she tried to open the parcel bomb.
Dey is at present in Maharashtra and has been detained by the police, sources said. A team of Howrah police was on its way to Maharashtra to bring him back, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Dreaded Maoist couple, three other ultras surrender in Odisha
- High-speed trains running on these five routes soon to be a reality
- Dalits are used as 'political weapon', says BSP chief Mayawati
- Russian athletics mess: Gloom and anger for athletes due to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- BSP workers hold protest, demand arrest of Dayashankar Singh