Three arrested in parcel bomb case in West Bengal
Howrah: The police on Thursday claimed to have cracked a case of killing of a woman human rights activist at Tetultala in West Bengal`s Howrah district in a parcel bomb blast last month, with the arrest of three persons.
Biswajit Majhi, Abhisekh Roy and Subhankar Das were arrested in connection with the case, police sources said.
The plot to kill the woman, Chaitali Santra, was hatched by a man named Debashis Dey, who was jailed after the human rights activist helped his wife, a neighbour, in a marital dispute, the sources said.
In jail, Dey came in contact with Majhi, another prisoner.
After coming out of jail, Dey allegedly paid Majhi Rs 2 lakh to kill the woman activist, they said.
Majhi with the help of Roy and Das, the other two accused, put together a parcel bomb which was hand delivered to the woman on September 26, the sources said.
The woman was killed and her husband was injured when she tried to open the parcel bomb.
Dey is at present in Maharashtra and has been detained by the police, sources said. A team of Howrah police was on its way to Maharashtra to bring him back, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price