Three arrested in parcel bomb case in West Bengal
Howrah: The police on Thursday claimed to have cracked a case of killing of a woman human rights activist at Tetultala in West Bengal`s Howrah district in a parcel bomb blast last month, with the arrest of three persons.
Biswajit Majhi, Abhisekh Roy and Subhankar Das were arrested in connection with the case, police sources said.
The plot to kill the woman, Chaitali Santra, was hatched by a man named Debashis Dey, who was jailed after the human rights activist helped his wife, a neighbour, in a marital dispute, the sources said.
In jail, Dey came in contact with Majhi, another prisoner.
After coming out of jail, Dey allegedly paid Majhi Rs 2 lakh to kill the woman activist, they said.
Majhi with the help of Roy and Das, the other two accused, put together a parcel bomb which was hand delivered to the woman on September 26, the sources said.
The woman was killed and her husband was injured when she tried to open the parcel bomb.
Dey is at present in Maharashtra and has been detained by the police, sources said. A team of Howrah police was on its way to Maharashtra to bring him back, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what