Three children injured in Bengal bomb blast
Kolkata: Three children were injured in a bomb explosion at the house of a Trinamool Congress candidate during the ongoing panchayat polls in West Bengal`s Malda district on Monday.
The condition of one of the children was serious, said police. The incident occurred in Birnagar area under Kaliachak police station, about 330 km from here, in Malda district.
An injured child said they were playing and saw some "balls" when they opened the door of the house. "And then there was an explosion."
Malda police superintendent Kalyan Mukherjee said the family members suspected bombs were thrown from outside. "However, we are not in a position to say anything conclusive as the probe is on", he said.
Forensic experts have also been summoned. "As per the complaint, the children were playing in the courtyard when their mothers heard the sound of an explosion. They rushed and found the children were injured," Mukherjee told mediapersons.
A part of a finger of one of the children was found in an icecream box. All three were rushed to the Malda Medical College and Hospital.
An injured child`s mother said: "The incident happened just after we returned home after voting. The children were playing. We suddenly heard an explosion and rushed in to see them lying injured."
Trinamool leader ansd state Tourism Minister Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury said: "Bombs were hurled at the house from outside." He blamed the Congress for the incident.
The fourth phase of the violence-ridden panchayat polls is being held Monday in Malda, Murshidabad, Birbhum and Nadia districts. Malda is a traditional Congress stronghold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble