Three cops suspended in skeletons recovery case
Kolkata: Three police officers were on Wednesday
suspended for their alleged dereliction of duties while
inquiring into the killing of five Trinamool Congress
supporters at Keshpur in West Midnapore district in 2002.
The decision was taken on the basis of a report
submitted by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID),
which is probing the June 2010 skeletons recovery case in
Benachapara, police sources said.
Following the recovery of seven skeletons from
Benachapra on June 4, one Shyamal Acharya lodged a complaint
with the police claiming that one of the skeletons was of his
father Ajay Acharya who was killed in September 2002.
Forensic tests confirmed the skeleton was of Ajay Acharya
and the case was handed over to the CID.
In its report, the CID had accused Mrinal Kanti
Mazumdar, Mahakash Chowdhury and Debasis Roy, all of whom have
been suspended, the sources said.
According to the CID sources, Mazumdar was the then
Deputy Superintendent of Police in Midnapore while Chowdhury
was the Officer-in-Charge of Chandrakona outpost, the nearest
police outpost at the spot and Roy was then Officer-in-Charge
of Keshpur where the Trinamool people were killed.
Mazumdar is now posted as an Additional SP in
Murshidabad, Chowdhury in the Enforcement Branch in South
Dinajpur and Roy as the Circle Inspector of Contai in East
The CID sources also hinted that more officers, including
an IPS, is also under the scanner as they were then posted in
Midnapore and their role was not satisfactory in CID report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city