"There was a leakage from the chemical pipe of Emami
Biotech Limited and two persons died due to the poisonous
effect of the gas," East Midnapore Superintendent of Police
Ajit Sarkar said.
Another person was rushed to the Ulubeira
sub-divisional hospital who also died later, he said.
The dead have been identified as Tapan Jana and
Buddhadeb Acharya, both residents of Haldia, and Nimai
Pramanik, a resident of Mohisadol.
The trio were on night shift when the incident took
place Sunday morning.
Asked whether there will be any action taken against
the company, Sarkar said, "The bodies have been sent for post
mortem and after the report comes, we will be able to know the
exact cause of death."
Kolkata: Three labourers were killed
after poisonous gas leaked from a chemical factory at Haldia
in East Midnapore district, police said.
First Published: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 15:21