Three policemen relieved of duties for harassing young man
Kolkata: Kolkata Police on Friday relieved three policemen from duty at the Karaya police station here for allegedly harassing a young man after which he self-immolated last month and died of his injuries on January 1.
The family members of Mir Aminul Islam demanded action against the three policemen and a retired constable for allegedly harassing him when he took a rape victim to the police station for filing a complaint against one Shahajada Bux.
Islam had immolated himself before the police station on December 3 last year in protest against alleged police inaction on the rape and his harassment.
His family members also produced a note he had written asking them to raise their voice against the alleged nexus between the police and Bux.
They accused that instead of taking action, the police slapped dacoity charges on Islam on the basis of a false case filed by Bux`s wife.
A departmental inquiry has been ordered, Joint Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) Jawed Shamim told reporters here.
"We have closed (relieved from duty) two sub-inspectors Ranjit Yadav and Vinod Kumar, beside a constable Nasim Khan, of the Karaya police station on the basis of the case registered against them under IPC 306 (abetment to commit suicide)," Shamim said.
Besides the three, a retired police constable of the same police station, Harun Khan, was also among the accused, he said.
Chairman of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission Ashok Ganguly told PTI that the Commission today sought a report from the police within two weeks.
A citizen`s forum organised a procession from Park Circus under Karaya police station area protesting the alleged police inaction and harassment of the young man.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Pallab Kanti Ghosh said the police force was being sensitised about offences related to women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation