Three tribal women lynched, buried by villagers
Midnapore (WB): Three tribal women were allegedly lynched and buried in their village in West Midnapore district after a kangaroo court declared them witches.
Police dug out their bodies from a field in Dubrajpur village on Wednesday and arrested seven people in connection with the lynching, district superintendent of police Sunil Chowdhury said.
The women were lynched publicly on Monday night and police dug out their bodies following a tip-off, he said.
Of the three women - two were a mother (65) and a daughter (43), while the third woman (42) was a relative.
They were being suspected for the past six months of practising witchcraft since a youth of the village died. They had even been fined in several instances.
The men folk in the village are absconding since the incident and a police picket was posted at Dubrajpur in view of the tension there, Chowdhury added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city