Three tribal women lynched, buried by villagers
Midnapore (WB): Three tribal women were allegedly lynched and buried in their village in West Midnapore district after a kangaroo court declared them witches.
Police dug out their bodies from a field in Dubrajpur village on Wednesday and arrested seven people in connection with the lynching, district superintendent of police Sunil Chowdhury said.
The women were lynched publicly on Monday night and police dug out their bodies following a tip-off, he said.
Of the three women - two were a mother (65) and a daughter (43), while the third woman (42) was a relative.
They were being suspected for the past six months of practising witchcraft since a youth of the village died. They had even been fined in several instances.
The men folk in the village are absconding since the incident and a police picket was posted at Dubrajpur in view of the tension there, Chowdhury added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH