Three tribal women lynched, buried by villagers
Midnapore (WB): Three tribal women were allegedly lynched and buried in their village in West Midnapore district after a kangaroo court declared them witches.
Police dug out their bodies from a field in Dubrajpur village on Wednesday and arrested seven people in connection with the lynching, district superintendent of police Sunil Chowdhury said.
The women were lynched publicly on Monday night and police dug out their bodies following a tip-off, he said.
Of the three women - two were a mother (65) and a daughter (43), while the third woman (42) was a relative.
They were being suspected for the past six months of practising witchcraft since a youth of the village died. They had even been fined in several instances.
The men folk in the village are absconding since the incident and a police picket was posted at Dubrajpur in view of the tension there, Chowdhury added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Harshvardhan is more hardworking than me which is very surprising, says Anil Kapoor
- Three-year-old boy, rescued from a borewell in Gwalior, declared dead by doctors
- Thanks to natural forces, Antarctic temperature falls! But it's temporary
- I wanted to bat in the top seven for a long time, reveals Ravichandran Ashwin
- Ugly spat: Renuka Chowdhury reacts to Harsimrat Kaur's 'Kachra' allegation, calls it 'cheap political drama'