Three tribal women lynched, buried by villagers
Midnapore (WB): Three tribal women were allegedly lynched and buried in their village in West Midnapore district after a kangaroo court declared them witches.
Police dug out their bodies from a field in Dubrajpur village on Wednesday and arrested seven people in connection with the lynching, district superintendent of police Sunil Chowdhury said.
The women were lynched publicly on Monday night and police dug out their bodies following a tip-off, he said.
Of the three women - two were a mother (65) and a daughter (43), while the third woman (42) was a relative.
They were being suspected for the past six months of practising witchcraft since a youth of the village died. They had even been fined in several instances.
The men folk in the village are absconding since the incident and a police picket was posted at Dubrajpur in view of the tension there, Chowdhury added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country