Thwart farmers` suicides: Bengal Governor
Kolkata: Days after West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee denied that farmers` suicides in the state were linked to farm debts, Governor MK Narayanan on Monday said many agriculturists owed huge sums and the government should find a solution.
"That (farmers` suicides) is an issue engaging the attention of the Central and state governments. Farmers` suicides are unfortunately taking place. We have to find ways to ensure that it does not happen," Narayanan told reporters here.
"Many of them, I suppose, are deeply in debt," he added.
The Congress, whose ties with the ruling Trinamool Congress have been strained, and the Left Front earlier alleged that 25 farmers had taken their lives in the first eight months of the Mamata Banerjee government.
Most suicides - at least 17 - have occurred in the fertile Burdwan district, earlier known as the rice bowl of Bengal. Suicides have also occurred in Bankura, Hooghly, Malda and Jalpaiguri districts.
However, Banerjee has pooh poohed the accusations, saying no farmer killed himself due to any debt burden.
"They had personal problems, family issues, they had huge personal loans, running into even a crore. And some of those being mentioned have died of diseases, and have not committed suicide," she stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof