TMC calls for Ashok Ganguly`s resignation
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress on Wednesday demanded the resignation of former Supreme Court Judge Ashok Ganguly as chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) in the wake of allegation of sexual harassment by a woman law intern.
"TMC has noted with anxiousness and concern the charges of sexual harassment against Justice Ganguly," Derek O`Brien, TMC parliamentary party chief whip in Rajya Sabha, told a news agency here.
"While the charges made by the intern relate to an earlier period, it cannot but leave an impact on public perception of his current role as chairman of WBHRC," party national spokesperson said.
TMC, O`Brien said, has followed an approach of zero tolerance when it comes to safety and dignity of women in workplace and `toxic phenomenon of sexual harassment`.
It is for people in senior position in public life to act as role models and not just in upholding the standard of conducts with female colleagues but also in responding expeditiously and with sensitivity when they themselves face charges of this nature.
"As such, it would be wholly incumbent upon Justice Ganguly to step down from his position as chairman of WBHRC and restore the sanctity of the office he currently holds.
"Public propriety and sense of decency demand this. I, therefore, urge Justice Ganguly to resign as chairman of WBHRC," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends