TMC govt in West Bengal butchering democracy: Forward Bloc
Kolkata: Accusing the Trinamool Congress government in West Bengal of "butchering democracy", the Forward Bloc Saturday urged all Left parties to come together for the upcoming rural polls in the state.
"Ever since the Trinamool Congress came to power it has been intolerant to all democratic institutions. The upcoming panchayat polls are very important and it is utmost essential that we do not concede even an inch to the Trinamool," Forward Bloc general secretary Debabrata Biswas told mediapersons here.
The polls are slated to be held by mid 2013.
"If they (Trinamool) win the panchayats (polls), democracy at the grassroots level will be destroyed. For the sake of democracy all the Left parties who believe in socialist revolution must unite and come together to keep Trinamool away," said Biswas.
Describing the appointment of parliament secretaries as a big burden on the state exchequer, Biswas demanded the Mamata Banerjee government to withdraw the decision.
The West Bengal Assembly Thursday passed a bill providing for appointment of state lawmakers as Parliament secretaries with the rank and status of ministers of state.
Biswas said his party will organise workshops across the country with a view to create young leaders who will eventually carry the party forward.
"We all know that every political part needs young minds and leaders with fresh thoughts. Keeping this in mind the party will organise workshops across Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai in January from where new and young leaders will be created," added Biswas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof