TMC Legislature Party meeting to elect leader on Sunday
Kolkata: After its landslide victory
which toppled the 34-year-old Left Front government, the
Trinamool Congress Legislature Party will meet here on Sunday during which Mamata Banerjee is set to be elected its new leader.
"The meeting of the newly-elected MLAs of the
Trinamool Congress will be held here tomorrow to elect the
leader,” party general secretary Mukul Roy said today.
Party insiders said that the meeting will elect
Mamata Banerjee as its leader.
The party won 184 of the 294 seats and its ally
Banerjee, the Railway Minister, who spearheaded the
alliance`s resounding victory, met West Bengal Governor MK
Narayan yesterday after the alliance secured a three fourths
Asked who would take over as Railway Minister after
she takes charge as Chief Minister, Banerjee said since the
Trinamool had only one Cabinet berth, she thought that the
party would be allowed to retain the portfolio.
Banerjee will have to get elected within six months to
become a member of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'