TMC may appeal in SC to reschedule panchayat polls
Kolkata: The ruling Trinamool Congress on Saturday said it was contemplating to appeal in the Supreme Court to hold the panchayat polls in West Bengal before Ramzan, a day after the apex court rescheduled the dates and directed that it be held in five phases from July 11.
"We abide by the order of the Honourable Supreme Court regarding the five-phase election. But, we are thinking of filing an appeal in the Supreme Court to complete the election process before 10 July when the Ramzan month starts," party MP and lawyer Kalyan Bandhopadhay and Urban Development minister Firhad Hakim told a press conference.
They said that they had received representations from the Muslim community conveying that it would cause inconvenience if the elections were held during Ramzan.
"Yesterday we said to the honourable Supreme Court kindly do not fix up the date during the Ramzan month. With great respect to the Supreme Court we are accepting the order that has been passed regarding the five phases of election. There is no dilly-dally in that matter," Bandhopadhay said.
He said that that the state had a Muslim population of more than 35 per cent and there were 45,000 to 50,000 candidates belonging to the minority community, who would be inconvenienced if the polls were held during Ramzan.
Asked whether the appeal would be filed by the state government or the Trinamool Congress, Bandhopadhay replied, "We are in the process of thinking. It will be decided."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog