TMC MLA alleges police attack on his car, vows legal action
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress MLA Arjun Singh on Wednesday alleged that his car was attacked by police when he was passing by the Baranagar Police Station area this evening.
Police, however, denied any such incident.
"When I was returning home, a group of 30-40 policemen attacked my vehicle in front of the Baranagar Police Station with lathis... I was left surprised as to why a ruling party MLA was attacked by the police.. They left after public chased them," Singh told a news agency.
"I am going to take legal action against the police and lodge an official complaint with the Barrackpore CP tomorrow (Thursday)," Singh said.
DC, DD Barrackpore Police Commissionerate C Sudhakar, however, denied the incident saying police were only doing their routine checking.
"We were conducting a routine check-up of vehicles and we did not know the MLA was inside the car.. After seeing him, we said sorry and left," Sudhakar said rubbishing Singh`s claim of police attacking his vehicle.
"Nothing of that sort happened. Only his respect might have been hurt but we apologised," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends