TMC MLA’s hate speech: Court for framing of cognisable offences
Suri (WB): After cautioning the Birbhum police not to take `lightly` the alleged use of provocative language by district Trinamool Congress President, Anubrata Mondal, a court on Friday differed with the police on charges made out and ordered slapping of `cognisable offences` against him.
Chief Judicial Magistrate, Suri, Rajesh Chakravarty heard the video CD speech of Mondal who had allegedly urged party-men to burn the houses of independent candidates and attack the police with bombs at a panchayat election rally at Kasba in the district on July 17.
The court observed that the allegations should be considered as cognisable offences and directed addition of some new sections of IPC after differing with the police on those filed against Mondal.
The sections of IPC ordered by the court were 117 (abetting commission of offence by the public or by more than ten persons), 436 (mischief by fire or explosive substance with intent to destroy house, etc), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty).
The police had charged Mondal under IPC section 189 (threat of injury to public servant) and 502 (sale of printed or engraved substance containing defamatory matter), which were both non-cognisable offences.
Yesterday, the investigating officer had submitted an application to the court which had noted that the extract of the general diary was not submitted along with the application by the police and that it should not take the matter `lightly`.
Assistant Public Prosecutor Kuntal Chatterjee said "Today police submitted the relevant documents including the extract of the general diary before the learned court."
The State Election Commission had earlier sought a report from the Birbhum district magistrate and SP on the controversial comments by Mondal.
District Magistrate and District panchayat officer J P Meena had lodged a complaint with the Panrui police station against Mondal on July 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed