TMC MP demands Ashok Ganguly`s resignation as WBHRC chairman
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress MP Kalyan Bandopadhyay on Friday demanded the resignation of former Supreme Court judge Ashok Ganguly from the post of chairman of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) following allegations of sexual harassment levelled by a young woman law intern against him.
"This is the first time such an allegation has been made against a former Supreme Court judge who is at present holding the post of WBHRC chairman. He should resign immediately," Bandopadhyay, a senior lawyer told.
"Whether the allegations are right or wrong will be decided by the committee appointed by the Chief Justice of India but till then he must not hold such a position," Bandopadhyay said.
Justice Ganguly was appointed WBHRC chairman by the Mamata Banerjee government in 2011 but he fell apart with the TMC supremo over some issues including the suo motu cognisance of the arrest of a professor for posting cartoons lampooning the Chief Minister.
The government had refused to give a compensation of Rs 50,000 to the Jadavpur University professor Ambikesh Mahapatra as recommended by the Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10