TMC shines in WB civic polls, wins 4 out of 6 civic bodies
Kolkata: Passing the civic polls test, Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress on Tuesday won four of the six municipalities that went to polls on Sunday. The CPI(M)-led Left Front and the Congress, meanwhile, won one municipality each.
The TMC came out winners in Panskura, Nalhati, Dhupguri and Durgapur. In Panskura, the TMC won 12 seats while the Left Front bagged 5. In Nalhati, the TMC won 8 seats, the Left Front and the Congress 3 seats each, while the BJP won 1 seat. In Dhupguri, the TMC won 11 seats, while the Left Front won 4 and the BJP 1 seat.
In Durgapur, the TMC won 29 seats while the Left Front bagged 11 seats. The Congress, the BJP and Others won 1 seat each.
The Left Front, meanwhile, bagged the Haldia municipality, winning 15 seats. The TMC won 11 seats.
In Cooper’s Camp, the Congress emerged victorious with 11 seats while the TMC managed to win 1 seat.
After the results, TMC said that people are with them. "We have done it alone, we can di it in future as well," a party leader said.
The civic polls were seen as a test of the popularity of the Mamata Banerjee government, which has completed one year in power.
As many as 85 per cent of the electorate had cast their votes in the polls for six civic bodies.
The allies in the Union and state governments - Trinamool and Congress – fought separately for the first time after last year`s Assembly polls.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left Front contested almost all the 129 seats.
In 2007, the Left Front had won in three of the six civic bodies. The Congress won two while Congress-Trinamool alliance bagged one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach