TMC slams government on FDI in retail
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress on Friday accused the UPA government of violating its assurance in Lok Sabha of allowing FDI in multi-brand retail only after consulting stakeholders, including the party which was the second largest constituent of the alliance.
In its letter to the President conveying withdrawal of support, party general secretary Mukul Roy alleged several decisions impacting the common man were taken in recent times without reaching a consensus.
"Trinamool Congress has observed in recent past that several decisions on important issues, including rise in prices of petroleum products, fertilizers, restriction of subsidized LPG cyliners, violation of assurance given in Lok Sabha regarding reaching a consensus with stakeholders before introducing FDI in multi-brand retail....Have been taken by the central government.
"This has been done without any consultation with TMC, though it is the second largest constituent of UPA-II", he said.
These issues, he said, were deliberated in the meeting of the working committee of the party on September 18 in Kolkata.
In view the "present circumstances" and "anti-people policies" of the government, the party has "unanimously decided to withdraw its support to the UPA-II with immediate effect", Roy said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory