TMC supporters clash in Birbhum, 8 persons arrested
Suri: Two groups of Trinamool Congress supporters have clashed in Birbhum district during which a police outpost was allegedly ransacked and a police vehicle damaged, police said.
The clash, that took place yesterday, followed from a dispute over fishing in a pond and the police were targetted by the villagers when they went to intervene, the police said.
While the police outpost was under Khayrasole police station, the police van was damaged at Lokpur village, the police said.
Birbhum Superintendent of Police, Alok Rajouria said, "A group of people broke into the outpost and ransacked the office. Stones were thrown on the wind-screen of a police van," the SP said.
Eight people were arrested in this connection since last night, he said.
Local Trinamool Congress leader Biswajit Ghosh said trouble erupted over a trivial incident and efforts were on to maintain peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble