TMC supporters clash in Birbhum, 8 persons arrested
Suri: Two groups of Trinamool Congress supporters have clashed in Birbhum district during which a police outpost was allegedly ransacked and a police vehicle damaged, police said.
The clash, that took place yesterday, followed from a dispute over fishing in a pond and the police were targetted by the villagers when they went to intervene, the police said.
While the police outpost was under Khayrasole police station, the police van was damaged at Lokpur village, the police said.
Birbhum Superintendent of Police, Alok Rajouria said, "A group of people broke into the outpost and ransacked the office. Stones were thrown on the wind-screen of a police van," the SP said.
Eight people were arrested in this connection since last night, he said.
Local Trinamool Congress leader Biswajit Ghosh said trouble erupted over a trivial incident and efforts were on to maintain peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs