TMC supporters clash in Birbhum, 8 persons arrested
Suri: Two groups of Trinamool Congress supporters have clashed in Birbhum district during which a police outpost was allegedly ransacked and a police vehicle damaged, police said.
The clash, that took place yesterday, followed from a dispute over fishing in a pond and the police were targetted by the villagers when they went to intervene, the police said.
While the police outpost was under Khayrasole police station, the police van was damaged at Lokpur village, the police said.
Birbhum Superintendent of Police, Alok Rajouria said, "A group of people broke into the outpost and ransacked the office. Stones were thrown on the wind-screen of a police van," the SP said.
Eight people were arrested in this connection since last night, he said.
Local Trinamool Congress leader Biswajit Ghosh said trouble erupted over a trivial incident and efforts were on to maintain peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred