TMC to observe "Black Day" across West Bengal today
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: The ruling Trinamool Congress will on Tuesday observe a "Black Day" across the state in protest of the killings of its four activists on Saturday.
The TMC has charged the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Communist Party of India (Marxist) with conspiracy and accused former state minister and Marxist leader Kanti Ganguly of being involved in the killings.
Ganguly, along with 21 others, has been named in the first information report for the incident that happened in Khari village in South 24 Parganas district on Saturday night when some miscreants hurled bombs and opened fire at Trinamool activists, killing four of them and injuring three others.
A Trinamool delegation led by general secretary Mukul Roy and senior leader Partha Chatterjee on Sunday visited Khari village and talked to locals.
"Locals have told us that hours before the attack Kanti Ganguly visited the place. They have alleged his connivance in the attack. We have instructed the administration to bring this fact under the purview of their investigation and hand over exemplary punishment to the perpetrators," Chatterjee had said after the visit.
Reacting to the incident, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had accused the BJP of conspiring with the CPI-M to create unrest in Bengal.
"There is a conspiracy by the BJP and the CPI-M to discredit our government by creating communal tension and incite violence. We will not tolerate this we will take strong action," said Banerjee.
Rubbishing the allegations, Ganguly had attributed the killings to Trinamool`s internal feud.
The BJP too had refuted the charges.
(With IANS inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump