TMC veteran says Mamata surrounded by opportunists
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress veteran leader Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay, who was assaulted recently in a factional clash and demanded punishment, Sunday alleged Mamata Banerjee was surrounded by `opportunists` many of whom had infiltrated into the party from other parties to gain material advantages.
She is surrounded by opportunists. Those who have infiltrated into TMC from other parties with an eye for loaves and fishes were gaining. The new-comers in the party are engaged in syndicates (supply of construction materials)," Chattopadhyay, chief whip of the TMC legislature party and trade union leader, told a meeting of his supporters.
" Chattopadhya`s fresh salvo came on a day when TMC MP from Howrah district Ambika Banerjee shared a platform with new MoS for Railways Adhir Chowdhury, a bete noire of Mamata Banerjee, and showered praise on him, describing him as a "dynamic person".
Chattopadhya said Mamata Banerjee had herself spoken out against the practice of paying and accepting "cut money", sending a stern message for probity in party affairs.
"She has identified the malaise and its medicine," Chattaopadhyay said.
He said the party could take appropriate decision against him, if it felt like it, but, however, added, "I was with Mamata Banerjee all through and will remain if he gets the respect".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 13,680 crore made under IDS by Mahesh Shah