TMC workers held in CPM double murder case
New Delhi: In what may cause a major embarrassment to the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal, the state’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on Monday arrested two Trinamool Congress (TMC) workers in connection with the murder of two CPM leaders in the Burdwan district.
According to reports, the two TMC workers were picked up from the Mirzapur area of the Burdwan district by the CID officials.
The arrest comes nearly a fortnight after two CPI(M) leaders, including a former MLA, were brutally killed in Burdwan’s Dewandighi area by suspected TMC workers.
The deceased, Pradip Tah and Kamal Gayen, were both CPI(M)’s district committee members while the former was also the former MLA of Burdwan North constituency.
Another CPI(M) worker and a Trinamul Congress supporter were badly injured in the incident.
After the killing, the CPI(M) had alleged that its workers were killed in a “pre-meditated manner” by the TMC supporters and called for a 12-hour Burdwan bandh later.
Holding Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee responsible, Leader of the Opposition Surjya Kanta Mishra demanded her statement on the double murder.
However, the Trinamul Congress rejected the charge and put the entire blame for the mayhem on the CPI (M) itself. Trinamul Congress secretary general Partha Chatterjee said that the CPI (M) leaders fell victims to people’s fury.
The police later arrested four people Choton Chakraborty, Patitpaban Tah, Suji Tah and Gopal Goswami in connection with the murder and extended search for others.
All those arrested by police were Trinamul Congress supporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam