TN Governor, Karuna, Jaya condole Basu`s demise
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Governor Surjit Singh
Barnala, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, AIADMK supremo
Jayalalithaa on Sunday condoled the death of veteran Communist
leader Jyoti Basu, describing him as "a charismatic leader"
and a pioneer of Communist movement in the country.
Expressing shock over the demise, Barnala said Basu was
"a charismatic leader known for his administration and
simplicity" who was also instrumental in bringing about
Panchayati Raj and land reforms in West Bengal.
"His death is an irreparable loss to the country and to
West Bengal in particular," he said.
Karunanidhi said, "The news of my friend Basu`s death
Basu was one of the "pioneers of the Communist
movement in the country" and had strived hard for development
of West Bengal, Karunanidhi said.
Recalling his association with Basu in mobilising
people`s support on public issues and for forging a secular
front, he expressed his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved
Jayalalithaa said the passing away of 95-year-old Basu
has created a deep void in Communist movement. "I am deeply
grieved to learn about his demise... The people of India have
lost a true patriot, a renowned personality and a great
"I had the privilege of meeting him several times and
held many rewarding conversations with him", she said.
TNCC President K V Thangkabalu, state BJP President Pon
Radhakrishnan, PMK founder leader Dr S Ramadoss, MDMK chief
Vaiko, DMDK founder-actor Vijayakant, CPIM and CPI state
secretaries N Varadarajan and D Pandian were among the host of
leaders from the state who condoled Basu`s demise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing