Toongate: Kabir Suman mocks Mamata, composes song
Kolkata: Causing more embarrassment to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who is drawing flak over the arrest of a professor for circulating cartoons, singer-turned-Trinamool Congress MP Kabir Suman has composed a song, "Hasi Niye Thako" (Live with a smile), mocking the state government.
Banerjee has drawn severe criticism from all sections of the society for arresting Jadavpur University professor Ambikesh Mahapatra for allegedly circulating a cartoon. The incident has triggered fear among a large section of intellectuals and a cross-section of commoners who say they are "scared" by the state government`s moves.
Mahapatra, a professor of physical chemistry, had claimed he had sent the cartoon mail for "pure fun" to his friends.
Suman, a Trinamool Congress MP from Jadavpur Lok Sabha constituency who had earlier penned several songs and blogs criticising various steps of the Banerjee-led government, has this time composed a song called `Hasi Niye Thako` (Live with a smile) mocking the arrest of the professor.
"Hasi niye Thako/Hasi Mukhe Thako/... Bongo Rongo hok sob lok hese nik Jantranoteo (Live with a smile/ live with a smiling face. Even in pain, the people of Bengal should smile)," 62-year-old Kabir Suman said.
"Hasi hok Mukhe Bhaat...abodh sishu o jane chotto hasir mane kon hasi kar/ Hasi te nei khoroch hasi to emnitei mukhe ese jay/ (Let there be smile in the first feeding ceremony of a child...a small kid also knows what smile means. You don`t need to spend money for smiling, everybody smiles easily)," said Suman.
"Aiynai mukh dekho aktu haste sekho swabhabik Hasi/ Khocha deoa hasi noy tate sandeho hoy bujhi debe fansi/ (You should see your face in the mirror and learn to laugh normally. No oblique smile, that leads to suspicion that you may be hanged)."
"I am there on Facebook and happy with my smile and sing with a smile. My day will also come, let me sharpen my smile as of now. Stay with a smile," Suman said.
A few days back Suman had penned a song criticising the police action against slum dwellers of Nonadanga in east Kolkata and transfer of police officer Damyanti Sen, who had played a big role in solving the Park Street rape case.=
Suman has had a strained relationship with the Trinamool leadership after he raised his voice against alleged corruption among a section of party leaders and openly condemned the joint forces operation in the Maoist-infested districts of the state.
He is credited with having changed the face of modern Bengali music in the 1990s with the `jeebonmukhi` genre, writing and singing about people and their lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video