Top Maoist leader eludes capture
Jhargram: Top Maoist leaders, including Akash, who had offered truce to the West Bengal government recently, Tuesday managed to escape during a raid by joint-forces on their hideout at Jhargram in West Midnapore district, police said.
"We had information that Akash and Jayanta were hiding in the jungles of Bankisole and Aulgeria in Salboni police station area, but the Maoists fired on the joint-forces when
they tried to enter the forest," a senior police officer said.
The security personnel fired back forcing the Maoists to retreat and entered the jungle, but could not find the two leaders, he added.
One Maoist was arrested and firearms, including a rifle, were seized from the spot, he said. Earlier, a landmine was seized from Mohanpur jungle in the district.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday gave a seven-day deadline to the ultras to lay down arms.
The state government is gearing up to launch full-fledged operations against the Maoists and has sought 2,000 additional paramilitary personnel from the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy