Top Maoist leader eludes capture
Jhargram: Top Maoist leaders, including Akash, who had offered truce to the West Bengal government recently, Tuesday managed to escape during a raid by joint-forces on their hideout at Jhargram in West Midnapore district, police said.
"We had information that Akash and Jayanta were hiding in the jungles of Bankisole and Aulgeria in Salboni police station area, but the Maoists fired on the joint-forces when
they tried to enter the forest," a senior police officer said.
The security personnel fired back forcing the Maoists to retreat and entered the jungle, but could not find the two leaders, he added.
One Maoist was arrested and firearms, including a rifle, were seized from the spot, he said. Earlier, a landmine was seized from Mohanpur jungle in the district.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday gave a seven-day deadline to the ultras to lay down arms.
The state government is gearing up to launch full-fledged operations against the Maoists and has sought 2,000 additional paramilitary personnel from the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof