Top Maoist leader nabbed by joint forces from junglemahal
Purulia: In a prize catch, joint forces arrested top Maoist squad leader Bikram, who was wanted for a string of killings, including that of a CID inspector and two political leaders, from Purulia district.
The police had information that Bikram alias Arnab Dam would be present at Biramdih Railway Station, 15 km from Purulia town, last night, DIG (Midnapore Range) N K Meena and Superintendent of Police C Sudhakar told a joint press conference here on Tuesday.
The joint forces, comprising CRPF, CISF and CoBRA personnel, besides policemen from the Baghmundi and Balarampur police stations led by the SP surrounded the railway station and arrested Bikram at 11:00 PM last night, they said.
An AK-47 assault rifle, 30 rounds of ammunition and two spent cartridges were seized from the Maoist leader of the Ayodhya Squad, the two senior police officers said.
Bikram, who was also member of the Bengal Jharkhand Regional Committee and the State Committee of CPI-Maoists, was wanted for a string of killings, including that of CID inspector Partha Biswas and his school teacher friend Saumyajit Basu in October 2010 in the district.
He was also wanted for the killing of CPI(M) leader Ajit Singh and his son Bapi last October at Balarampur and Trinamool Congress leader Jitu Singh Sardar last November in the same area.
Bikram, a science graduate, who left home in in 2006, was a member of the PDSF, a student union of a naxalite faction of the Second Central Committee formed by senior leader Mahadeb Mukherjee.He later joined the left wing ultras when the PDSF merged with CPI-Maoists.
After the death of top Maoist leader Kishenji last year, Bikram was considered an important leader of the rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi