Top Maoist leader nabbed by joint forces from junglemahal
Purulia: In a prize catch, joint forces arrested top Maoist squad leader Bikram, who was wanted for a string of killings, including that of a CID inspector and two political leaders, from Purulia district.
The police had information that Bikram alias Arnab Dam would be present at Biramdih Railway Station, 15 km from Purulia town, last night, DIG (Midnapore Range) N K Meena and Superintendent of Police C Sudhakar told a joint press conference here on Tuesday.
The joint forces, comprising CRPF, CISF and CoBRA personnel, besides policemen from the Baghmundi and Balarampur police stations led by the SP surrounded the railway station and arrested Bikram at 11:00 PM last night, they said.
An AK-47 assault rifle, 30 rounds of ammunition and two spent cartridges were seized from the Maoist leader of the Ayodhya Squad, the two senior police officers said.
Bikram, who was also member of the Bengal Jharkhand Regional Committee and the State Committee of CPI-Maoists, was wanted for a string of killings, including that of CID inspector Partha Biswas and his school teacher friend Saumyajit Basu in October 2010 in the district.
He was also wanted for the killing of CPI(M) leader Ajit Singh and his son Bapi last October at Balarampur and Trinamool Congress leader Jitu Singh Sardar last November in the same area.
Bikram, a science graduate, who left home in in 2006, was a member of the PDSF, a student union of a naxalite faction of the Second Central Committee formed by senior leader Mahadeb Mukherjee.He later joined the left wing ultras when the PDSF merged with CPI-Maoists.
After the death of top Maoist leader Kishenji last year, Bikram was considered an important leader of the rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened