Trains come face-to-face, but collision averted
Kolkata: Two passenger trains came face-to-face on Thursday at the outer signal of the Sealdah Railway Station here, but a collision was averted as both were able to stop, Eastern railway sources said.
The driver of the Sealdah-Lalgola passenger which left platform 7 at the station at 8:10 am overshot the starter signal and entered the down main line at about 8:17 am, Eastern railway CPRO RN Mahapatra said.
The train stopped just short of the Bongaon-Sealdah local which arrived on the down main line, he said.
He said a collision was averted as both the trains were in very slow motion and the drivers could stop them.
The Sealdah-Lalgola passenger was hauled back to platform 7 and later left at 9.32 am with a new driver, assistant driver and guard.
A departmental enquiry has been ordered.
The driver and assistant driver of the Sealdah-Lalgola passenger have been placed under suspension, a press release issued by ER said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you