Trains come face-to-face, but collision averted
Kolkata: Two passenger trains came face-to-face on Thursday at the outer signal of the Sealdah Railway Station here, but a collision was averted as both were able to stop, Eastern railway sources said.
The driver of the Sealdah-Lalgola passenger which left platform 7 at the station at 8:10 am overshot the starter signal and entered the down main line at about 8:17 am, Eastern railway CPRO RN Mahapatra said.
The train stopped just short of the Bongaon-Sealdah local which arrived on the down main line, he said.
He said a collision was averted as both the trains were in very slow motion and the drivers could stop them.
The Sealdah-Lalgola passenger was hauled back to platform 7 and later left at 9.32 am with a new driver, assistant driver and guard.
A departmental enquiry has been ordered.
The driver and assistant driver of the Sealdah-Lalgola passenger have been placed under suspension, a press release issued by ER said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre