Transporters` strike called off in Malda
Malda (WB): Private bus, minibus
operators, who called an indefinite transport strike against
illegal mechanised vans plying in Malda district since the
morning, later called off the stir following talks with the
The district authorities promised to look into the
demand for action against the unauthorised vehicles by
February 26, official sources said.
"We will consider next course of action on February 26
but the government needs to act on its promise," a private
bus-minibus-trekker owners` welfare association spokesman
Official sources said although private bus and
minibuses stayed off the roads in the morning peak hours,
state bus, autorickshaws and rickshaws operated normally.
The indefinite transport strike was called in the
district to protest against plying of the `unsafe and
unlicensed` indigenous motorised vans, locally known as
`bhutbhuti`, on long distance routes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sanjay Dutt rejects speculation on joining BJP, says 'attended the event for my friend'
- WATCH: Despite crushing defeat, Virat Kohli shows ultimate sign of sporting spirit
- Manoj Kumar receives Phalke Award, presents idol to President
- Now get health tips on Facebook Messenger with Lybrate's chatbot!
- Icra sees deposit growth inching up to 10-11% in FY17