Tribute for victims of hospital fire
Kolkata: Wreaths were placed on Saturday before
the hospital, where smoke from a blaze snuffed out 90 lives,
as the fire-ravaged portion stood a grim reminder of the
The wreaths were placed on a makeshift memorial, a
tribute by local people who assisted fire-fighters in rescue
operations at the annexe of the AMRI Hospital at Dhakuria
whose interiors were still emanating smoke and the smell of
"So many lives have been lost due to our callousness,"
read a inscription in Bengali on one of the wreaths.
Local people gathered at the gates this morning claiming
that more bodies could still be trapped inside.
Meanwhile, six of the seven directors of the hospital
who surrendered to the police, would be produced in court
during the day.
Earlier the civic authorities sealed the annexe building.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has already cancelled the
licence of the hospital on the charge of gross negligence and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly