Tribute for victims of hospital fire
Kolkata: Wreaths were placed on Saturday before
the hospital, where smoke from a blaze snuffed out 90 lives,
as the fire-ravaged portion stood a grim reminder of the
The wreaths were placed on a makeshift memorial, a
tribute by local people who assisted fire-fighters in rescue
operations at the annexe of the AMRI Hospital at Dhakuria
whose interiors were still emanating smoke and the smell of
"So many lives have been lost due to our callousness,"
read a inscription in Bengali on one of the wreaths.
Local people gathered at the gates this morning claiming
that more bodies could still be trapped inside.
Meanwhile, six of the seven directors of the hospital
who surrendered to the police, would be produced in court
during the day.
Earlier the civic authorities sealed the annexe building.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has already cancelled the
licence of the hospital on the charge of gross negligence and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday