Trinamool Congress activist shot dead, 8 arrested
Bhangar: A Trinamool Congress (TMC) activist was shot dead at Bhangar in south 24 Parganas district ahead of the panchayat polls in the district on July 19.
The CPI(M) district committee member Sattar Mollah and seven other party activists were later arrested in connection with the murder, police said.
Nazrul Mollah, a panchayat poll booth committee member of TMC, was called out from his residence by some people and shot at from point blank range, police said, adding he died on the spot.
The Trinamool alleged Mollah was an active party worker and he was killed to scare away the party supporters and voters in the area.
The CPI(M) said its activists were framed and the murder was the fallout of TMC`s internal feud.
The third phase panchayat polls in West Bengal will take place on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details