Trinamool Congress candidate casts another man`s vote
Kolkata: A Trinamool Congress candidate on Thursday courted controversy after he was caught on camera voting on behalf of an "inebriated" voter in the West Bengal panchayat polls.
Jawaharlal Bagdi was seen casting the vote of a man whose hands were trembling. The incident happened in Jhalda in Purulia district.
"The man asked me to cast his vote as he was drunk and his hands were trembling. I did that as he is a Trinamool supporter and would have voted in our favour," Bagdi said later.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist and the Congress took strong exception to the incident.
"First, the Trinamool did not allow opposition candidates to file nominations or to campaign. Now they are even casting others` votes. This government is determined to give elections a new definition," said CPI-M leader Mohammad Salim.
State Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said his party will approach the Election Commission with a complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video