Trinamool Congress doesn`t need Congress: Mamata
Kolkata: Buoyed by Trinamool Congress victory in the Howrah Lok Sabha bye-election in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said her party did not require Congress and through their verdict, people have given a message to go it alone.
"Congress requires us. We don`t need Congress. The people in Howrah have given the message that we should go alone. Our victory reflected the mahajot (grand alliance) of people against all immoral alliance. Our`s was a solo fight. It ushered in a new arithmetic, a new chapter," Banerjee told reporters after TMC candidate Prasun Banerjee`s victory.
In the bye-election to the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat, which was vacated by Pranab Mukherjee, TMC did not field its candidate, "but Congress had fielded its candidate in Howrah," she said.
Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijit Mukherjee had won Jangipur by a slender margin. Coming to the bye-elections in other states, Banerjee said, "Congress is zero everywhere. Left also has no existence. If I understand politics, the bypoll result also indicate that despite hobnobbing with Congress, Left will be zero."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal